The Ethnographic Museum in Belchin village is the place where all preserved artefacts were gathered to demonstrate originality and folklore of the local population dating back from the age of the Renaissance (17th C.) to the beginning of the 20th Century. The building is newly built and it was donated to the Municipality of Samokov by the “Glavbolgarstroy” construction company. The museum and the whole complex is a branch of the Historical Museum of Samokov town. The building is in the style of Belchin old homes of those times, and the exhibits displayed were donated by patriotic Belchin residents.
On the first floor, a collection presents the rich literary heritage.
From the old church in the village, about thirty preserved manuscripts and incunabula are displayed, among them some rare and extremely valuable Bulgarian literary heritage books – a New Testament with an Apostle dated to 13th-14th C.; octoechos; an incunabula printed in Cetinje in 1494; a church service book printed by Bozhidar Vukovic in Venice in 1540 and a trifology printed with funds paid by Matthew Besarab in 1643, a Panegyric from 1744 and others. Today, these rare books are kept in the National Library “St. St. Cyril and Methodius” and some having survived at the “St. Petka” church, are nowadays exhibited in the Museum. It is obvious that even in the times we are used to call “the darkest ages of our history, the Belchin village had been a stronghold of faith and the Bulgarian language.
The second floor presents everyday life and trades within Belchin area. Exhibits include original costumes, furniture and trades typical for a Bulgarian village. In the backyard some farm buildings, tools and equipment for agricultural labour are exposed.